On March 16, 1730/31 the Town of Glocester was set apart and organized from Providence. On April 16, 1806, the town was
split in half, from east to west, with the upper half being named Burrillville and the lower half remaining as Glocester.
Centrally located within the boundaries of Glocester, or "The Way Up Country," was the village of Chepachet (Chuh-PA-Chet, as in hatchet),
the hub of activity for the entire town.
"Sapatset, as it was spelled on the old deeds, was a natural choice for town meetings as it was located near the
geographical center and had, early, become a trading village and haven for the weary traveler on his way up country."
SOURCES: Glocester - The Way Up Country, p. 20
What well-known Providence writer visited Chepachet in 1923?
CLICK HERE for the answer!